I sawed the dowel into 4 pieces and used a pencil sharpener to make points on one end of each piece.
I then sanded the dowel rods, smoothing out the points a bit and rounding the other end out some. I also then put the wheels onto the dowel rods just above the pointed ends. You could glue these, but mine fit so tightly when I tried them, that I could not get the wheels back off to put the glue on.
I then painted them with water colors.
I found that the yellow paint did not show up enough on it's own, so I layered yellow and blue paint to make one of the tops green.
I let the tops dry overnight and then polished them with several coats of my homemade beeswax polish.
I think they turned out lovely and look forward to putting them in W's stocking this Christmas. At this point he can't spin the tops on his own but he loves to watch us spin them for him.