When I first signed up for the exchange, one of the first things I thought of was to make these Schernscnitte bugs of summer which I talked about before. I also knew I wanted to put them in a stand of some sort. When we were at the beach I found a lovely long flat piece of drift wood. It was still dampish when we got it home so I dried it out in a low oven and using my hand saw, I cut a slot down in it for the cards to stand up in. I then sanded the slot and polished the whole thing with beeswax polish.
The next thing we sent was this little beehive and needle felted bees. The hive was made by weaving yarn and twigs from our neighborhood that we soaked in water together, bending everything as I wove it to make a hive shape. I then stuffed it with wool batting and needle felted on a base and a little door.
sand candle in a dish made from sand clay with some of the shells we collected at the beach. We made two sets like this. One to send out as a part of the exchange and one to keep for our midsummer celebration.
Jennifer tells me I should be receiving a package from her family this week. We are very much looking forward to it! This has been such a fun chance to develop some creative summer projects to share with another family and to see what others make for summer nature tables. I really look forward to participating in more of these swaps in the future!