Pages

On any given day you are most likely to find us communing with the gnomes and the fairies Under The Old Oak Tree

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yarn Along

I am joining with Ginny of Small Things for this weeks yarn along.  I missed last week, but I have been knitting and reading quite a lot since my last yarn along post.



I have finished my worsted weight shawl.  I would have made it a little bigger actually, but I ran out of yarn.  I still like it a lot though.  I have to block it still, but it's large enough that I'm trying to find a space to spread it out where it won't get disturbed in our apartment.

My other knitting over the past two weeks has been for W.  The back of his "school" hoodie sweater is almost completed.  He is pretty excited that I am knitting him a sweater to wear to his parent/toddler class this autumn.  Also, I found the missing project bag and was able to  weave the toe of the first sock I made for him together.    He's pretty excited about the socks and wants to know where the other one is.  I guess I need to get started on that!    He also told me he is going to wear the socks to school and to church.  I was sure that this sock was going to be much much too big, but it actually fit him very nicely with just a little bit of room to grow.  I'm certain that by the time summer's over and he's ready to wear socks again it will fit him very well.

For books, I am reading On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Homemaking as A Social Art by Veronika Van Duin.  I am just loving reading these Little House books as an adult!  They bring back so many of my childhood memories of reading with my mom,  going to the various sites that the Ingalls family called home, and countless hours of pretending to be Laura.  I can't wait for our trip out to Kansas in September to visit the Little House on the Prairie site.  At some point I need to get together a post on our plans and preparations for that trip.

I just started Homemaking as A Social Art last night.  Homemaking is an area that has been a bit of a struggle for me lately.  I've felt that many aspects of housekeeping seem to just drain me terribly, but I feel even more drained when they don't happen.  Our rhythm has also been all over the place recently so I think that's part of it. It's time for some inner and outer work in this area.  I love that this book is framing on homemaking as a creative artistic endeavor.  I have to admit I rarely view it that way, but this perspective really appeals to me!  I'm looking forward to reading more and using it as a tool to help me get some things turned around here.



W wants to make a book suggestion this week too.  He choose Gyo Fujikawa's Oh, What A Busy Day.  We love this book.  We typically don't read the whole thing, but we'll read a few pages here and there and W has the words to many of his favorite pages memorized.  The illustrations, as is always the case with Gyo Fujikawa's books are just beautiful.  This book has been one of my favorites since I was a little girl, and our copy is much loved and worn, as it is over 30 years old.  It was my book as a child.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this for my little girl's birthday, but am putting it aside until she is a bit gentler with pages. I did get her two other Fujikawa books in board book form.

    I am knitting a hooded tunic for one of my boys right now. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemaking as a Social Art sounds like an interesting read. I think I need to see if my library carries it! I look forward to seeing your shawl once it is blocked. Being from worsted weight yarn it sounds like it is going to be very warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover